onsdag, juni 24, 2009

Nixon: Var é brudarna?

Jag vet inte hur många gånger jag skrivit om The Babe Theory of Political Movements, men nu visar det sig, i nyligen publicerade gamla bandinspelningar, att redan Nixon var inne på det spåret 1973, när han efterlyste mer snygga brudar i den republikanska rörelsen.

CNN Political Ticker:

President Richard Nixon believed one way to shore up the GOP in 1973 was by recruiting "attractive" women, but not because he was "for women," according to audio tapes released Tuesday.

In February of 1973, President Nixon called future president and then-Republican National Committee chairman George H.W. Bush, and recounted a recent visit to the South Carolina state legislature.

"I noticed a couple of very attractive women, both of them Republicans, in the legislature," Nixon told Bush. "I want you to be sure to emphasize to our people, God, let's look for some… Understand, I don't do it because I'm for women, but I'm doing it because I think maybe a woman might win someplace where a man might not… So have you got that in mind?"

Bush replies, "I'll certainly keep it in mind."